Hour Long exercise - Geese


This particular project has a very strange beginning story to it, so buckle up.

On this blog, there are a couple of posts about the parametric vessel, how it was made, and what not. Well when starting that project, the work of Greg Payce was shown as an example and I really wanted to do an outline as a goose (directly influenced by Payce's work). It is his work shown below.

https://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/event/greg-payce-illusions/

In the process of planning the parametric goose vessel, I realized that the form (depending on what angle of a goose I was using) would need supports while printing and would not really be good for doing a two part plaster mold. It would have been a headache, and was ultimately axed for something a little more within my skill set. The goose was set on the back burner, but then this project came up and I knew that I wanted to make lofted circular geese, so I did. I was planning on having four, but the hour time limited prevented more than three. 


I started by finding pictures of geese to get my outlines. I used Picture to pull both pictures into Rhino before I locked them in place. I then used Polyline and a lot of mouse clicking to get my goose curve. Please note that I did start with the... Hissing(?) goose. 


I used ArrayCrv to send the goose outline around a circle and plugged in around 30 for the amount of outlines that I wanted. It was a simple Loft to get my donut like form and had the tight option for the loft shaping. 
I cut out a section of the 'donut' to show off the goose more.

The process is pretty much the same as the hissing(?) goose, but one has a normal loft option, and the other has a loose loft option. 



All of the donuts are rendered in an opaque plastic. I am not sure why the one side of the third won't cap. I must be missing a piece.


I really want to make these into actual objects and to make more of them. They were a lot of fun to make.







Comments