Making arcs?

I have to admit that I'm finding the learning curve of Grasshopper to be rather daunting. It feels exactly how the start of Rhino learning curve was, but with one difference. I feel as though even with the demonstrations and tutorials, I still haven't got a flipping clue as to what is going on...


The one thing that I can say for sure though after working through the tutorials is that the above image took me about 5-10minutes to figure out that all I needed was a press of the ENTER key between the point selection. Luckily all I did was laugh when trying again and again to make it go right...
The ENTER key is your friend.
I have also learned how incredibly annoying it is to keep forgetting to double click to pop up the directions bar, and instead start typing the control you want in Grasshopper in Rhino. I only have to do it properly 10,000 more times before I remember.... Hopefully....

Whatever the case, the pictures shown below are just showings of how I managed to get through the tutorial process and get into a small-ish riff of them...? Hopefully by the end of the projects in this blog, I will have learned to be able to do the basics in the Grasshopper program without feeling like I need the tutorials to hold my hand every step of the way...


Here was the end of tutorial 3 which shows that I did indeed get past that selection problem and I haven't done the same mistake again... Yet....


I kind of like the use of the colour though I do wish that I knew how to apply it to the lofted sides. The shape does make me think of a pot that is replicating a vortex. Or maybe it's the line across the sides...?



Whatever the case, I really liked the figure riff example provided and was super tempted to do one as well, but then I thought that maybe another organic organism would work while still providing a challenge. However, I do feel like the set up could be a lot cleaner than it is displayed below, but oh well... Maybe when I know more about the BiArcs and the other functions in Grasshopper. I ended up using the 3point arcs for the second layer of petals and adjusted the upper most arc to give them more depth variance which I didn't really find in the BiArcs of the larger three petals. I did try to add the same colours onto the 3point arcs, but the connection just wasn't there. Maybe next time.


Comments